Algae are common issues faced by pool owners when the pH and chlorine levels are not balanced. Algae can also form in pools exposed to direct sunlight, which makes them more prone to growth.
During winter months, algae growth may slow down due to colder temperatures, making it an excellent opportunity to get rid of algae from a pool. Many pool owners do not use their swimming pools during winter, so there is no need to maintain the pool’s pH and chlorine levels. Instead, a good algaecide and a pool cover to prevent direct sunlight can suffice.
Table of Contents
Best Pool Winter Algaecide
When maintaining a clean pool during the winter months, a quality winter algaecide is essential to keep algae at bay. Winter algaecide prevents algae growth and keeps it dormant until the warm weather returns.
Using winter algaecide helps prevent algae growth in all types of pools, including above-ground and in-ground. It’s crucial to select the right algaecide for your pool type and size as different products are designed to work with different types of pools. Additionally, the active ingredients in different algaecide products can be more or less effective depending on your pool’s needs. In this article, we will discuss the best winter algaecide for pool maintenance.
EasyCare PoolTec Algaecide:
This algaecide is designed to maintain optimal water clarity and swimmers’ comfort, making it an ideal option for pool owners looking to save money on chlorine. It reduces chlorine use by 25 to 65 percent, providing superior algae control with easier pool maintenance. This algaecide can be used on all types of pools and hot tubs.
- One bottle of this algaecide will last the average 20,000-gallon pool.
- It is important to follow all instructions carefully for optimal performance.
- Regular testing of the pool’s pH and chlorine levels is advisable when using this algaecide to avoid problems with pool maintenance.
- Add 4 oz. of EasyCare PoolTec Algaecide weekly per 10,000 gals. to maintain clean, clear, and algae-free water all winter long.
- Can be used for both saltwater and non-saltwater swimming pools.
- Safe for all types of swimming pool surfaces and components, including filters, heaters, and pumps.
GLB Winter Swimming Pool Algaecide:
GLB Winter Algaecide is a non-foaming and non-metallic algaecide that provides superior protection for pools during the winter months. It reduces or eliminates algae growth in swimming pools and makes opening your pool hassle-free in the spring. It works best with GLB Pool Closing System, which includes Oxy-Brite non-chlorine shock oxidizer and Sequa-Sol sequestering agent.
- This product contains polyoxyethylene dimethylamino ethylene dichloride as an active ingredient at a concentration of 6 percent.
- Use GLB Winter Algaecide when the temperature is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not use it when the pool water temperature is higher than that.
Algaecide by The Swim:
The Swim’s Algaecide provides effective control of algae for up to 5 months in covered pools, helping to fight algae growth during the winter months. Specifically formulated for covered pools, it ensures maximum protection against algae buildup. By reducing chlorine use, it leads to fewer filter maintenance tasks and keeps your pool clean, clear, and algae-free for up to 5 months.
- Dosage: 1 quart per 20,000 gallons.
- Compatible with both in-ground and above-ground pools.
- Proper pH and chlorine levels are necessary for optimal results.
- Safe for use with all pool surfaces and filters.
- Contains copper sulfate pentahydrate at 11.8% and inert ingredients at 88.2%.
Difference Between Algaecide And Winter Algaecide?
Algaecide and winter algaecide prevent and treat unwanted algae growth in water features. However, they differ in their application timing and concentration.
Algaecide refers to any product that kills algae, and it is typically applied during warmer months when algae growth is more likely. It is a more concentrated form of the product and is used for maximum effectiveness against algae growth.
Winter algaecide, on the other hand, is a less concentrated form of algaecide used to prevent any potential algae blooms from occurring during colder months when temperatures are low.
Can You Use Winter Algaecide In Summer?
Winter algaecides are formulated for cold-weather algae growth and are less effective during the summer months. While it may be tempting to use winter algaecide during summer, it is not recommended.
Instead, use a product specifically designed for warm-weather algaecides if you are experiencing algae growth in your pond during summer. These products are formulated to work more effectively in the higher temperatures of the season, keeping your pond clear and healthy.
How Much Algaecides To Put In Pool For Winter?
The amount of algaecide to put in your pool depends on the size of the pool and the strength of the algaecide you are using. Keep the instruction in mind that is given with the product. Generally, a pool of up to 20,000 gallons requires 4-8 ounces of algaecide.